Saturday, January 4, 2014

NYU-Abu Dhabi

Guidance Counselor Trip to NYU-Abu Dhabi

December 5-8, 2013

I know that many of you are waiting to see and hear about our Winter Break trip to Africa, but in order to keep our experiences in chronological order, I am going to post some pictures and information from my visit to the New York University campus in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. 

Sometime around the middle of November, Lubov, the NYU-Abu Dhabi Global Outreach Officer for Russia and Eurasia called me and asked if I would like to attend a special event for guidance counselors in Abu Dhabi to see the NYU campus and find out more about their programs and vision for global education.  She explained that the event was free AND all transportation and hotel costs would be covered as well.  How could I say no??  I'll admit that I was a bit nervous at first because I had never traveled by myself to another country, but all of the arrangements were made for me; I just had to find my own transportation to and from the airport in Kiev.  It turned out to be a wonderful experience.  The trip was flawless, the university is amazing, and I would love to go back to the UAE again.  It is a fascinating and beautiful country.

 My plane landed in Dubai.  This is a picture of the Burj Khalifa, tallest building in the world, taken through the back window of my cab as we passed it on the way to Abu Dhabi.  (interesting note: Dubai is the other city where Jay and I were offered jobs last year at the job fair in Atlanta. While the offer was tempting, and now after seeing it, still very attractive, I think we made the right decision when we chose Ukraine.)
 NYU-Abu Dhabi is a new institution.  In fact, they will graduate their first class this May.  This downtown location is temporary.  Next year they will move to a beautiful new campus on Saadiyat Island, just off the coast of Abu Dhabi in the Arab Sea.

 The view from my hotel window.
 We counselors were visiting at the same time as some perspective students who were also there by invitation.  They took all of us by bus into the desert for a dinner under the stars.
 I rode a camel...
 drank Arabic coffee (with cardamom)...
got a henna tattoo...
and ate a delicious meal with counselors from all over the world!
This is our Russia and Eurasia group.
The next day we visited the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.  Opulent only begins to describe it!
Our tour guide, Ali, was funny, flirtatious, and very informative.
The next evening we had our farewell dinner at the Emirates Palace Hotel.  NYU-Abu Dhabi took "wining and dining" to a whole new level!  Since we were in a Muslim country there was not a lot of wining, but we ate very well.  Even though the three days felt like a vacation, we were there on business, so we also attended several sessions throughout the days regarding the application/admissions process, academics, and student housing.  In addition, we heard from the vice chancellor of NYU-Abu Dhabi and the president of NYU.  We also attended a panel discussion with current students.  I was also able to meet and gain some insight from a Kyiv International School graduate, Vasily, during lunchtime on our first day. This is Vasily's first year at NYU-Abu Dhabi.
These are the treasures I brought back with me: a leather camel, chocolate covered dates, coffee with cardamom, spices, and a miniature dallah.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You guys are having amazing adventures! Love reading your blogs & seeing all your pictures. You'll never want to come back to MB.

    ReplyDelete